Saturday, October 20, 2012

Round Robin

I love strategies that allow the students to activity work, get immediate feedback, and give me the opportunity to help my more struggling learners.  One of the greatest strategies is the "Round Robin".

To create a round robin...

I cut in half bright colored sheets of paper, in the example below there were 21 of them all together.  On the first card you write a problem or question you want to students to answer.  On the second card you write your next question, but in the bottom right hand corner you write the answer to the question on the first card.  On your third card you write another question and in the bottom right hand corner of that you write the answer to the second problem.  When you get to your last question the answer to that one goes on the very first card you created.  In the end it makes a giant loop.  I shuffled them up, so they weren't in order, and taped them up around the room.

I did have them laminated so I can use it over and over again.  I'm all about doing something once instead of once every year!

These are all of them!

I put them in order so you could see the format.

Just some tips...

  • Don't have an answer repeat.  It will lead students on a loop that is smaller and they will not get to every problem.
  • Students can start at any problem they want, they will start and end at the same problem if it is done correctly.
  • Write large so that the students can see the answers from across the room. 

The first few times I made one of these I messed it up, so don't worry it gets easier as it goes!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome way to keep them actively engaged! I think I will try this, but only allow them to be three at each card at a time. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my classes are smaller I will only allow 1 student per card. With the round robin you can start at any card, and it should be the card you end at, so this activity can allow for only 1 student per card.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...